The usual method of refilling this design of Canon cartridge has been to drill a hole in the top and inject ink inside the plastic container. Recent developments in the design of inkjet cartridges have seen the internal capacity of ink considerably reduced. The CLI-571 BK/C/M/Y/GY cartridges now only hold 7ml of ink, with 4ml in the sponge. A large section of these cartridges are blanked off and left empty. So there is now no real need to drill a hole in the casing as it is perfectly possible to refill the sponge directly from underneath.
1. Remove the label from the top of the cartridge(s) to open the vacuum.
2. Put some newspaper or paper towel on a work surface away from any valuable items. Place the cartridge(s) upside down so that you can see the ink outlet sponge area.
3. Using a syringe with the correct colour ink inside, carefully allow some drops of ink to fall onto the exposed sponge area of the cartridge. Remember that the sponge can only hold 3ml to 4ml, so allow 2ml of ink to drop initially, then wait for this to be absorbed before later adding another 1ml to 2ml of ink.
5. Replace the cartridge(s) into the printer.
6. The following message will appear on the printer LCD screen "The ink has run out, replace the ink tank". Then "STOP" will appear with a triangle and circle below. Press and hold the triangle circle until the "STOP" and triangle circle light go out. This will turn off that particular colour chip sensor! You may have to repeat this process for it to be successful, and every time you take the cartridge out and replace it.
The Eco-Fill ink refill kit for PGI-570 BK Black and CLI-571 BK/C/M/Y Colour cartridges which contains 6 bottles of ink and the above refilling instructions is available from the Premium Inks shop.